Saturday, June 10, 2006

Some Post-Zarqawi Reflections on the War on Terror

UPDATED: Mister Ghost has done an excellent round-up of the opinions of various Iraqi bloggers on the death of Zarqawi at Iraqi Bloggers Central. Read that and weep, lefties.


Blogosphere was intensely alive following the news of Zarqawi’s appointment with the devil this past week. On the blogs where I post comments, populated as they are by supporters of the War on Terror, everyone was ecstatic with the news. Yet none of the long-time posters, most of whom, I am sure, understand the relationship between Iraq’s former regime and terror, believed the death of Zarqawi, would bring about an immediate end to the violence in that country. I guess you could say, we neo-cons have a deeper understanding of things like this than do the folks on the left.

I normally like to make up my own mind, but in this instance, I cannot bear to read any blog that does little more than bash the countries that toppled the Ba’athist regime in Baghdad. I deliberately stay away from the extreme leftist blog sites, because the strident bigotry against all things American to the exclusion of everything else disturbs my soul at its very depths. This is not because I worship at the feet of our southern neighbour, as obviously there are a few little irritants between our two countries that need to be cleaned up. Rather, it is because I care deeply about Iraq and its future, and about the Middle East as a whole, and the left would rather fixate on hating Bush and the Republicans, even if it means Muslims continue to rot in hell while they do it.

So I will admit, I have formed my opinion of blogs like the Daily Kos, and others, by reading those of my fellow neo-con posters, who do, and only God knows how they do, manage to read them quite regularly. I was not surprised, then, to read comments describing the reaction on left-wing sites to the news of Zarqawi’s demise. The lefties’ opinions, apparently, ranged from outright denial that the monster ever existed, to conspiracy theories about how America was using him, to hyped-up and totally ludicrous claims that we neo-cons believed this would bring about an immediate end to the violence.

This region of the world is one of the most brutally oppressed and heavily indoctrinated by a poisonous ideology of any place on the planet. The conditions within many Islamic and Arab countries is deplorable and, contrary to what the left would have us all believe, it is the dictators at the helm, and only they, who must accept the blame for that. It has been festering for more than sixty years and parts of it, most notably the brutal Wahabi brand of Isalm, for much, much longer than that.

One should not be surprised that among my favorite blogs are those maintained by Arabs and Muslims themselves, who, of course, have similar views to mine. One, an Arab-American woman calling herself Nadz, had this to say about Zarqawi’s demise:

It's a great day on a personal level for me, one that I've been looking forward to for a while. When I first saw a video of Zarqawi beheading Eugene Armstrong, it not only made me sick to the core, it altered the way I thought about, well, the world. About terrorist fanatics and the lengths of their savagery. There was something extremely personal about my anger towards the monster. Then there was the Jordanian bombing, which hit friends of a relative of mine. So I feel nothing but sheer joy that the bastard is gone. Makes me wish I believed in Hell.”

Another, by a fellow Canadian calling himself Arabian Knight, had this to say:

The best way to wipe out the threat of terrorists from Muslim Extremists is to change the very conditions in the Middle East that help breed their kind of philosophy. And there's no other way of achieving that other than a radical overhaul in the status-quo in the Middle East.”

This is exactly what the War on Terror is all about and it will be a long struggle. The death of one depraved monster is only a small step in a very long road which lies ahead. The War on Terror will be fought in many ways. Some of it will be outright “hot” warfare, as it is now in Iraq, and some of it will be similar to the Cold War, but the vision in sight at the end of the row, is democracy. And a great many Muslims the world over are yearning to realize this vision.

I'll quote some more of Nadz, the American woman's, remarks:

Yes! Zarqawi is dead, courtesy of our troops, Iraqis and some Jordanian assistance on the side. It's a wonderful day for all. Congratulations to Iraqis today on getting rid of a scumbag who brought them a world of misery. Woohooo!

Good riddance to pure evil - Osama, there's another missile with your name on it
.”

Yes, Osama. And let me say, I would be very proud if it turns out to be one of my fellow Canucks who finally nabs you. We have a place at the North Pole for you and the Polar Bears are hungry.

(This entry is cross-posted with modifications at Research for Arts for Democracy)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home