Friday, August 29, 2008

First!!

Since the beginning of the current American presidential race I have been saying that the first Black president will likely be a Republican. In other words, you're not The One, Obama. Sorry.

Now it looks like the Republicans may just be the first to put a woman into the Oval Office, too. Of course, presuming McCain wins and he manages to serve a full term, then Sarah Palin may not get to sit behind the desk, but, if McCain kicks the bucket (a lot of people do think he's too old), then presto!!! She becomes the President of the United States.

I kinda like fact that she's a northerner and will likely know a lot more about Canada than McCain, and certainly more than either Obama or Biden. She's also a teacher, which is kinda cool. She's married to an Inuit. She's also a woman of principles. In her career in public service in Alaska, she wasn't afraid to stick it to her fellow Republicans.

And speaking of McCain, this is pretty classy, if you ask me:



The "historic day" McCain refers to is the forty-fifth anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s I Have a Dream speech, one of the most inspired examples of uplifting oratory ever delivered, IMHO. Dr. King's words on that day have been the single most important influence on my life, I think. I can't think of another single event that at once so galvanized my values and my philosophy and has stuck with me all of my life. Let us be judged by the content of our character, not by the colour of our skin, or any other superficial characterization.

Damn. This campaign just got really interesting again. It was getting so boring. Thank you, McCain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seane-Anna said...

Great post, Louise! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the McCain-Palin ticket. And "classy" is the best word for McCain's ad!

August 29, 2008 3:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home