Saturday, September 20, 2008

Musical Memories

This old fart just has to say that I find this internet thing to be the most exquisitely magnificent invention of my lifetime, or maybe of the century. When it first emerged from the military into the public sphere there were all kinds of crazy predictions about what it's impact would be. Well, tonight I've been tasting some of its finer accomplishments. What a pleasure it brings! Ladies and gentlemen, I offer you a trip down my musical memory lane.

First up, the Weavers



Anybody remember the Limelighters?





Kingston Trio anyone?









That was Judy Collins, for all you younguns out there who weren't even born yet. Below is Judy Collins and Leonard Cohen.



Judy Collins again, years later.



The Brothers Four were really popular in the early 1960s. They've aged well, too, by the look of it.



And who can forget Ian and Sylvia, Canadian folk singers with an international following.






And of course, there was this guy.



I remember the first time I heard Bob Dylan. I was probably about 14 or 15 years old. I had spent the night at a friend's house. In the morning I turned on the radio beside her bed and this next song was playing. I suppose most young people have this WOW!! moment when they first hear the song that will define their generation. Well, that was mine.



And this clear and beautiful voice from a young songstress, sometimes associated with the Civil Rights Movement, also defined my youth. Go to the two minute mark for her signature song.





My mom's era produced from great music, too. While I'm not this old, I do remember this music being played in the house when I was growing up. I especially liked the music from the WWII era. The Brits and their colonial offspring really pulled together and music was one of the ties that bound.







And for all I know, this next one could have been my maternal grandmother's favourite song. She sure was a daughter of the British Empire, in any case. A real Victorian Brit.

2 Comments:

Blogger huffb1 said...

Did my "End of the Line" post Inspire this montage of the music of your life?

September 20, 2008 9:03 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

I was working on this several weeks ago, but then I kind of let it sit. After listening to the Traveling Wilburys at your place I decided to dig it up and finish it off. So yes, you did inspire me. See why I don't want you to quit?

September 20, 2008 9:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home