Saturday, December 27, 2008

Okay. If I Must!

I'll list the jobs I've had, but I won't tag anyone else.

1) farm girl [includes things like haying, slinging manure, driving the tractor pulling some sort of implement, such as a plow, a seeder or a swather or the grain truck and/or the combine, bringing the cows home, helping castrate the baby bulls (that always makes the men squirm. Ha, ha.) and inoculate the baby cows and the yearlings (you should see the mother f*er of a hypodermic needle they use on farm critters! Nurse Ratchet would eat her heart out.), feeding the chickens, gathering the eggs, etc.] If I recall correctly, I think Dad paid us a dollar an hour for some of this stuff, like the haying and harvesting, but we weren't unionized, so we had to be content with being exploited while we learned responsibility. The nerve, eh? But things were tough in those days.

2) janitor at the one-roomed country school (every one of the "older kids" took a month long turn on a rotational basis doing this.) I can't remember what we got paid. Might have been $20 for the month.

3) babysitting

4) bookstore clerk (great job, lousy wage)

5) teacher

6) youth centre supervisor

7) research assistant (twice)

8) museum worker (twice)

9) cataloguer (for Parks Canada)

10) currently working in a profession that I ain't gonna reveal as it may lead to someone in the blogosphere identifying who I really am and I don't want that to happen. Sorry. Let's just say it's a field that requires a Masters Degree. Been doing that since 1991 and will probably stick with it until I retire.

There. That's more than you ever wanted to know about me and are probably sorry you asked.

(PS: It's been interesting to see all the jobs various bloggers have had in their lives. So many of us have done so many wild and whacky thinks. No wonder we're so interesting. ;-))

9 Comments:

Blogger huffb1 said...

My list would be pretty short. My Career life is just beginning to start!

December 27, 2008 9:41 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Yup. Being on the planet for 59 years does give one a certain edge on things. ;-)

December 27, 2008 10:05 pm  
Blogger huffb1 said...

haha. yeah.

Well, what ever the job you have now. I hope you enjoy the work you do.

Do you have any advice for a Young whippersnapper like me?

I'm entering into a post-secondary institution next year.

I won't give out the name of where I'm going, I want to keep my Identity under wraps from the blogs.

December 27, 2008 10:22 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

That depends on what you're interested in. Having a job that you love is waaaaaay better than having one you hate. If you can make mega bucks at it, so much the better.

If you are good at math and sciences then you have lots of careers, like engineering, to choose from. If you are obsessed with politics, maybe law would be a good career.

I know a lot of people, including myself, who didn't know what was available out there until after I had a few university classes under my belt.

And hey, who says university is the only way to go. There are a lot of good careers that pay well and are in big demand in the trades.

Is there a career counselor in your school that you could get info from?

December 28, 2008 5:21 am  
Blogger Marginalized Action Dinosaur said...

"Do you have any advice for a Young whippersnapper like me?"

yeah find something you like to do as a hobby and get paid for it, then it will take longer until you hate your job with a passion.

;)

December 28, 2008 1:08 pm  
Blogger huffb1 said...

Well, I'm gonna take a few different classes next year. See if I like anything.

Not sure which direction to go yet.

So I guess I will try a few things and see.

I'm good at math. So something with numbers might be to my liking.

December 28, 2008 1:16 pm  
Blogger huffb1 said...

haha, Good advice marginalizedactiondinosaur

I don't think anybody would pay me to collect books ;-)

reading books is my Hobby!

December 28, 2008 1:41 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Hey, Huff, you can get paid to collect books. Open a bookstore or, if you are really a sucker for never ending university, get a library degree. It will only take six years of your life.

December 28, 2008 2:31 pm  
Blogger huffb1 said...

oh yeah. I guess running or working in a book store or a library would count.

December 28, 2008 5:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home