Sunday, January 25, 2009

Letters, Hopefully Not in Vain

It's only been in my dotage that I have become a letter writer to politicians. Today I wrote two. The first one is to the Canadian Embassy of The Kingdom of Netherlands in Ottawa (betcha didn't know it was called that) and the second one is to the Canadian Prime Minister. I reproduce them here. I hope they have at least some small part to play in rescuing us from the looming decay before it becomes utter rot.

Letter #1:


January 25, 2009


Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands
Constitution Square Building
350 Albert Street, Suite 2020
Ottawa, ON K1R 1A4

Sir/Madam:

I am writing to express my deeply felt concern at what your country is doing to one of its most courageous citizens, Geert Wilders. My father, bless his soul, slogged his way through The Netherlands in 1944-45 to liberate the Dutch people from the pernicious clutches of the German Nazi regime and for many years following the war, a Dutch couple, with whom he had lived for a while, corresponded with my parents here in Canada.

Surely your country cannot forget the sacrifice of so many of their own and of those brave Canadians who fought beside my father. They fought for your freedom and it now appears you are willing to surrender it under pressure of political correctness and Islamism. I am appalled and truly frightened, as would my father be, if he were still alive.

Yours truly,



Louise XXXXXXXX


Letter #2:


The Right Honourable Stephen Harper
Prime Minister of Canada
80 Wellington St.
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A2

Sir:

Today, I wrote a letter to the Embassy of The Netherlands in Ottawa to express my concern over the decision by the government of The Netherlands to press charges against Geert Wilders. As you may know, Mr. Wilders is a courageous man who is speaking out against Islamofascism in his native country and against Islamic terrorism in general and for this he is being brought up on charges of hate speech. I have attached this letter.

I am writing to you because I would urge your government, through our embassy in The Netherlands, to express the concern of Canadians regarding this violation of a man’s basic right to freedom of expression. However, it is not just because my father helped to liberate The Netherlands in World War II that I am concerned about this. As a Canadian, I feel that by writing that letter to The Netherlands’ embassy in Ottawa, I am behaving somewhat like the pot calling the kettle black.

Canada needs to be a leader in the world again, just like it was during World War II when my father stood up and did his duty and as you very well know, we have institutions in our own country that are leaning towards the very same fascist tendencies by denying Canadian citizens not just the right of freedom of expression but the right to due process, and I am sure you know that I am talking about the various Human Rights Commissions and Tribunals across this country. I am looking to your government for leadership in this serious matter at this critical time.

Yours truly,




Louise XXXXXXXX

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home