Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Iraqi Kurd Puts German Politician In Her Place

Forgetting Saddam's Victims
"If Ms. Däubler-Gmelin had had her way, Saddam would still be sitting safe and sound in one of his palaces in Baghdad and no changes would have been possible in this country. For the woman who led the German parliamentary delegation is the very same person who as the then German Minister of Justice in September 2002 sharply attacked the later liberator of Iraq, George W. Bush, and even compared him to Hitler."
---
"I must admit that I was astonished when I recently read in the newspaper that a German parliamentary delegation was visiting Iraqi Kurdistan and that the head of the delegation, Herta Däubler-Gmelin, had made critical remarks about the situation of human rights in the region. I was equally astonished that our Kurdish politicians accepted this criticism without protest.

As someone who survived the Iraqi army’s poison gas attack on Halabja and who has been working for a German aid organization for the last eleven years, I may be permitted to make some comments on Ms. Däubler-Gmelin’s visit..."
The whole essay reminds me of one written by Adam Michnik regarding the grotesque stance of the anti-war crown at the beginning of the Iraq war, which I wrote about here and which is still available for reading here.

RTWT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home