Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Occidental Soapbox Update

Earlier this week I wrote about the blogger Occidental Soapbox and his YouTube vids on Islamic history in which I pondered when the next video in the Islamic Crusades series would be posted. Well, voila!



One of the main reasons I like this series and the companion one - Islam, History and Geopolitics - is that they provide excellent material to refute the notion that the US and/or the British Empire are responsible for all the troubles in the world today and nothing bad ever happened to the poor peoples under their domination before 1492, etc., etc.. This blows that lefty thesis apart. I wrote on a similar theme here: The Trouble With Aboriginal Rights.

I have a fond spot in my heart for India. As daughters of the British Empire, I think we have a lot in common. During the height of their empire the Brits considered India to be the jewel in the crown and, despite the connotations of empire and colonialism, in my opinion, it is still a jewel. It is the most populous democracy in the world, which, despite its problems, has achieved much since the day they received independence from Britain. One doesn't hear a lot of whining and moaning from them about how colonialism is to blame for all their woes. Good on ya, India! That's what independence really means - being responsible for yourself and dealing with the world as it really is, not as some never-never land that leftards want it to be.

1 Comments:

Blogger Xanthippa said...

Awesome series!

May 27, 2009 6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home