Friday, May 28, 2010

Aw, Sandmonkey, I had Given You Up For Dead

But he's back. Somewhat deflated and not in Egypt, but at least he's alive. I feared Cairo's "finest" may have rounded him up and put him in the clinker for being such an irreverent, sarcastic Egyptian. Not allowed in the land of the Muslim Brotherhood, you know.
"It’s …jadedness….too much cynicism…and general exhaustion. “Exhaustion from what? you don’t do much of anything anymore.”, you may ask. And you would be right to wonder. The answer is simple: From caring..

From Believing…

From knowing too much about the nature of the political scene in Egypt, of the civil society scene in DC, of every Hero I have ever had or championed…

But I ignored all that, buried it deep down..because no one wants to hear it. Can’t be showing weakness, not with the vultures are lining up all around you, wanting to get rid of you once and for all. And they have good reason to worry, for you know too much and been silent for too long…but more on that later.

I ignored all that, until I met her yesterday, and I was confronted with everything I wanted to ignore for so long.

She comes from Azerbaijan, which, from what she told me of it, might as well be called Egypt. And she suffers from the same ailment that I suffer from. Too many years fighting, too much time in the trenches, and nothing really changing."
And that seems to be what's making him so despondent. Nothing is happening in Egypt, despite the stirrings that followed the invasion of Iraq.

Buck up pal. When I think of you, I'm always reminded of the old Arabic proverb:
"Man fears time, but time fears the pyramids."
Egypt will change. Perhaps in your lifetime. Perhaps when the Americans come once again to their senses.  Some day the "Arab Parallel Universe" will collapse and a new civilization will rise.

Good luck with your new friend. And I agree. Berlin must be an inspiring place.

You know I damn near took your blog off my blogroll!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home