Friday, February 25, 2011

Reading the Arab Street

Below is my comment, currently pending approval, on Terry Glavin's otherwise excellent piece on Libya (and the great wimpish one currently sitting in the Oval Office wringing his hands and/or practicing his putt).
"Good on President Garcia, but I have to ask, how many Peruvian nationals are waiting in Tripoli or elsewhere (or trying to get to Tripoli) so they can be safely evacuated?

As we have seen, the Libyan regime has considerable control over the speed and efficiency, or even the very existence, of the process of evacuating foreign nationals.

They call the shots about who gets landing/docking rights and as such, they can delay the departure of foreigners and by extension, any overt action on the part of the countries whose people are stranded there.

And then there's the Skylink insurance thingy, just to make things interesting.

God-Damned-Daffy can do a lot of damage in the meantime, and can instantly declare hudna once every foreign national is out which could very well leave him lying in his luxurious tent until the next time the spirit moves him to crack down of the betrayers of the revolution.

It's all very fine to declare a no-fly zone, which will undoubtedly reduce Ghadafi's capacity to rape, pillage and murder, but the keyword there is reduce, not eliminate, and maybe just postpone.

In the meantime, we have the world paralyzed due to their fear of being too much like the much reviled Dubya.  After all, Libya has oil and no blood for oil is the new modus operandi."
But once foreign nationals are out, all bets should be off, IMHO. I'm fully aware that many of my "right" thinking colleagues have long ago washed their hands of the notions that Arabs may actually want to modernize and live by and under that suite of contemporary enlightenment values we call human rights, equality, etc. etc., but I am not one of them. I've met too many Arabs in my life, including Iraqis and Egyptians, to know that not to be true. It's the thugs in power and the cozy arrangement they have made with Islamists, that have created the stereotype and benefit from our wholesale acceptance of it.

Next time the streets and rooftops of Tehran are filled with young people wearing green armbands, listen to what they are shouting.

"Allahuakbar!!"

That's right. "God is Great!!"

Given the fact that the people of Iran have lived under the pre-eminent Islamist tyranny for decades, that cry is hardly a rallying call to embrace Islamism, is it? What it is, is a cry for justice and freedom. The same can be said of those on the so called Arab street in Cairo, Tunis, Saana, Tripoli, Manama and elsewhere over the past few weeks. If we ignore it or mis-read it, it is to our peril - and our shame.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

And I know two African Muslims here in Pa, a gentleman from Mali and a lady from Ethiopia. Both are practicing Muslims but neither are what I'd call fanatical Islamists.

Here's what I think is a VERY important point. The Ethiopian lady says her preconceptions of America were so totally different than reality. She and her family back in Ethiopia, and other Ethiopians base their perception of America on Hollywood's TV and movie representations. Look at the relentlessly anti-American, anti-traditional morality junk that Hollywood churns out. I'd say that has almost nothing to do with mainstream America, or Canada, or probably Europe either.

Her family in Ethiopia were shocked to hear what America is really like, that here in Pennsylvania for example, there are many, many churches all over the place, that all faiths are totally free to worship, including Muslims at the mosque she and her husband attend, that Hollywood-represented negativity and amorality is NOT the mainstream reality.

My point here is that leftist, nihilist Hollywood's product is in no small part responsible for the very negative perception of America and the West in general to peoples in the rest of the world.

February 25, 2011 12:29 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

You know, I've never written about that on my blog, but I've believed the same thing for years. The difference being, I knew all along it was just a Hollywood/big TV network manufactured fiction, whereas many folks in other parts of the world don't know any better.

But the thing is, that fiction has influenced not only American culture but the culture of the entire Western world.

I hate, with a passion, the over-sexualized little 13 year-old tarts (of which there seems to be a never-ending supply) put on display in gossip and entertainment mags (God knows what else they can claim as talent other than being photogenic and chewing bubble-gum), not to mention what happens to them once they grow up (ie. assigned to the dustbin of history)

I detest 1)the excessive use of violence and special effects in movies that otherwise have no edifying theme or moral to teach; 2) the overt expression of lust and raw sexual urges on sit-coms that air during prime-time and especially 3) the idea that ten-year-old kids know what this is all about and joke along with their adult companions about it.

All of it makes me wanna puke and it's a big reason I no longer subscribe to cable and have put my TV in cold storage.

I haven't gone to a decent movie in years, although I believe there have been some (Shindler's List comes to mind). But most "kids these days" don't understand what those movies are about.

I've been dragged to some really crappy ones by one or the other of my kids, but have to sit there for ninety + minutes clenching my teeth and my fists and getting serious knots in the muscles of my neck. What needs that?

I also detest the incessant portrayal of church going Christians as all being carbon copies of Jerry Falwell or Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Luckily, my computer didn't crash. Just don't get me going on CBC's cheap and amaturish copy-cat productions of some of these things.

February 25, 2011 1:04 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

LOL!! Since writing this particular entry I've been recalling the early days of my marriage to my ex. He had a genuine full-fledged Arab costume (don't ask me why he brought that with him. Maybe he had it sent to him, I don't remember).

Anyway, two or three times he dressed up, robe, kafya, the whole schmeer, and have a friend of his drive him around the downtown streets of the City of Saskatoon (pop. about 190,000 at that time, IIRC) just to watch the astonished look on people's faces as they drove by. It was hilarious. The expression of shock and disbelief was unmistakable. We'd laugh for hours afterwards.

February 25, 2011 1:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home