Wednesday, March 02, 2011

"Canadianisms"

Takes a Yank to tell us what's unique about Canada, or at least about the words we use:

An American's guide to Canada: Canadianisms

I'd never heard of some of these. They could be called Canadian Regionalisms.

My favourite is the one about the "toonie" and the Queen. Never heard that one before, but it made me laugh. There's lots of interesting stuff on that website, although many of the links are dead. I like How to Tell You're in Canada.
"No, the temperature does not drop fifty degrees when you cross the border, and the speed limit doesn't double."

Related: It takes a Canuck to tell a Yank what they don't know about Canada and to dispel a few old myths:

50 Facts For Americans About Canada

But hey, it's an American who posted this, tongue in cheek mind you.

And in my humble opinion, this is far and away the most important bit of info that Americans need to know about Canada:
"32. Many Canadians have never played hockey in their lives. There are many who do not like hockey."
I'm one of them.

And second most important is this:
"44. Canada has rednecks, too."
And I'm one of them, too.

And don't forget this:
"49. We own the North Pole, and therefore Santa Claus is Canadian. The internationally recognized mailing address for jolly old St. Nick is:

Santa Claus
North Pole
Canada
H0H 0H0

So you better not pout, you better not cry, you better not shout, I'm telling you why: Santa Claus is a Canuck"
Take that!! HO! HO! HO!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home