Thursday, March 24, 2011

Earth Hour

POST SCRIPT ANALYSIS inserted in orange text below:
==================
Video update below.
========Original Starts Here in Black Type==========
...is coming up and I'm making plans. So far, this is what I'm planning to do for Mother Earth, or Gaia, or whatever:

1) Turn the heat up (might have to open some windows to keep from sweltering, but that's okay); (Didn't do that since it takes an hour for the place to warm up or cool down.  Good thing, too, cause I was pooped after I got everything done.)
2) Turn all the lights on; (Yup. Even went to bed forgetting to turn off the lights at the top of my bookshelf.)
3) Recharge my cell phone, whether it needs it or not; (Yup. Done as planned.)
4) Turn on the oven and bake a cake, cause that requires using my electric mixer; (Yup. Done. Gingerbread. Haven't made that in ions.  Have to buy some apples today, and make some applesauce from scratch, as I recall applesauce goes really well with gingerbread, and making it from scratch has the added distinction of transferring the use of electricity from the food processing company that makes the canned stuff to my kitchen, so I can take personal responsibility at the same time as illustrating that going back to grandmother's day still means using electricity and/or fossil fuel.)
5) Bake some cookies, too (Yup. Ones with coconut in them to ensure I contributed to the "eat imports rather than local" cause.), and maybe a big batch of lasagna and/or chili (might as well do both, so I can have both the oven and a burner on); (Did the chili thing.  Got to freeze it today, too. More power consumption, just for the frivolous sake of preventing spoilage and possible food poisoning, silly me! Oh and the tomatoes and canned chili beans also contributed to the "eat imports" cause. How ungreen of me!!)
6) Do the laundry, and, if anything needs ironing, get at it right away; (Did that. No ironing required, so there's two small appliances - the iron and my blender - that were not pressed into use in the celebration of Earth Two Hours, a failure on my part, for sure, but I just couldn't think of what I could do with the blender during Earth Two Hours. If I had ice cream, I could have made a milk shake, I guess.  Oh well.)
7) Vacuum the floors that have carpets; (Yup. Not much to do, though, so I didn't really consume much electricity.)

..and just for the helluvit...

8) Turn on the hot water taps full bore so the boiler in the building will have to replace what I've consumed; (Didn't do that. My bad. But I did have a long leisurely shower after I was done in the kitchen, and did up the dishes in hot water, too.)
9) After all that work, I'll have to have a shower (see above), of course, and for sure, boil some water for a cup of tea. (Done. Hot tea after a busy stretch of work is so nice. Plus, it's another import, so that's good.)

Oh, and might just plug in the car, whether it's cold or not. (Did that earlier in the day, so it was plugged in for several hours. In fact it's still plugged in.)

That should be enough, probably more than enough, for only an hour, but I'd happily extend my celebration of Earth Hour as long as needed, even to Earth Hours. (All told, it took me close to two hours.  I wonder how long it would have taken without electricity. Drying those clothes would have been a time killer, and I'm not sure how I would get them ironed - or where I'd hang them to dry - a lot of retrofitting needed to go extreme green plus I don't have those old fashioned interchangeable irons with a wood stove to heat them on.)

I'm taking suggestions, if anyone can think of what else I could do. Every little bit helps, you know.  Gaia deserves it.

(I'm gonna leave this one on top and file a report the day after.)

(Picked this tip up over at SDA):



(This also came from SDA comments):

Earth Hour: Why I will leave my lights on

(Anyway, here ends my post-Earth Hour report.) 

In the meantime, enjoy this:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

"Earth Hour"-the fascist Eco-Warriors' equivalent of the Soviet May Day Parade in Red Square. They can take their "Earth Hour" and...well, I shouldn't get rude here. Bad language and insults don't translate to a strengthened argument. Let's just say I'm not interested in their faux Earth Hour or Earth Day or whatever.

If they want to live in a pre-industrial lifestyle, let them follow their own propaganda. Let 'em go with only an ax and a few hand tools to some remote island with timber and build their own pathetic "civilization".

March 24, 2011 9:44 am  
Blogger Louise said...

Gasp!! Are you suggesting they should cut down trees??!!

March 24, 2011 1:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start early with the hot water so the tank will be properly empty at the magic moment.
Oh, btw, smelting steel causes co2 and pollution, so stone axes would be more suited.

March 26, 2011 12:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home