Friday, April 22, 2011

There's Room For Some Cautious Optimism

Tories headed for huge majority as NDP vaults into second place
"A new Ipsos-Reid survey puts the left-leaning party in second place behind the Conservatives. According to the poll, the NDP has 24 per cent support, well behind the Tories with 43 per cent but ahead of the Liberals' 21 per cent support for the first time, nationally, in two decades. The sinking Bloc Québécois appears to have catapulted Layton into second spot."
Okay. I've already predicted the Dip Sticks will be the official opposition, but I hadn't entertained the possibility that fear of Dip Stick ascendancy may be just the ticket needed for a Con majority.

Woot! Woot!! Woot!!!

But, there's still ten days to go before the campaign is over. :(

Let me make one more prediction that I might not be around to gloat about, if I'm right. Canada has elected Liberal/left governments (with a few brief blips of pseudo-conservative ones just for spite) since the 1930s. Prior to that, small "c" conservative governments had prevailed for nearly 70 years.  Are we about to change course again? Could we be witnessing the birth of a long Liberal/left drought of similar duration?

I think the possible demise of the Liberal Party could very well portend the death of small "L" liberalism in Canada, or at least its delegation to "second fiddle" role for a long time to come. Now it will be the Dipper's turn to be "always the bridesmaid and never the bride" which is a step up for them.

PS: If I'm right, I wonder if the news from British Columbia could be seen as the pivotal point? Or would it be Iggy's strange in-over-his-head confession?

Also, when the purveyors of political correctness are worried, you just know a sea change is looming.

(Fingers, eyes, toes and legs crossed.)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

So, I guess that carpet-muncher jokes are now verboten in Canuckistan? I guess that also means that the Humor Police won't buy sexual Hillary jokes in Canada. ;-)

April 24, 2011 3:12 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Well, I'm not sure about Hilary humour. She's not one of the approved brand of special victims. I'm sure she could work on it, though. Women with left-leaning opinions should be a protected group, wouldn't you think? I mean, if Ann Coulter can be pilloried, why can't Hilary be haled. Flip side of the same coin, no?

April 24, 2011 3:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home