Sunday, July 17, 2011

Rudy Giuliani Channels Pierre Trudeau

Giuliani to GOP on gay marriage: 'Stay out of it'
"The libertarian streak of the Republican party, he added, should want to avoid “getting involved in people’s sexual lives.”

“Stay out of it,” Giuliani said. “And I think we'd be a much more successful political party if we stuck to our economic, conservative roots and our idea of a strong, assertive America that is not embarrassed to be the leader of the world.”"
Pierre Trudeau:
"The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." (December 21, 1967)

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

Pierre Trudeau! Ugh!

Two historical footnotes that to me, sum up the man. (1)Richard Nixon was wont to privately refer to Trudeau as "that little *ssh*le". (2)The only significant foreign dignatories to attend his funeral were Jimmy Carter and Fidel Castro, "Dumb" and "Dumber".

(No American high horse here! Your biggest-twerp government leader is at least safely dead and buried. Ours is currently in office.)

July 17, 2011 12:59 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Don't forget Trudeau spent 15 years as leader of the Liberal Party, and most of that as Prime Minister (except for a very brief blip by "Joe Who?"). I'd be very surprised if your guy gets to serve a second term.

(I was a freshly scrubbed,wide-eyed and bushy-tailed 19 year old in 1968 when he first became PM. I confess I voted for him. In fact, I voted Liberal in every federal election until 1984, when I voted for the local Conservative Party candidate who I felt was a really good guy. Been a Con ever since. The Libs, on the other hand, have been coasting on Trudeau's legacy and hoping to find another like him ever since.

He was a man of the times, and those times have gone - for good, proving that the Libs can't adapt and that Canada has changed.

When Harper told the Party faithful in Calgary the other day that the 40 year long Liberal reign was over, I think he was right. I hope we spend the next 40 years undoing or at least cleaning up the consequences of the Liberal legacy.

July 17, 2011 10:56 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Or was it 50 years? Or 70 years? The Liberals have dominated since the 1930s, so I guess there's a reason they became so complacent and arrogant.

July 17, 2011 11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home