Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ahhhh, The Good Old Hippy-Dippy Days

No wonder they laugh at us now:

"Come on people,

smile on your brother,

everybody get together,

try to love one another right now."



Look you young-uns. Ya had to be there to understand. It was very nearly a revolution. Going into the 60s Jews and Blacks were the object of vile bigotry. Women were chattel, in law, etc., etc., etc.,. Yeah, there was lots of bad stuff, too, but it was one of those movements in history when a lot of bad stuff really was left behind and what emerged at the other end was a whole lot better.

Peace, brother (and sister).

h/t my old friend, Asher Abrams, via Facebook.

Oh yeah. It ended with the great global cooling scare.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

Groovy! :-)

(Gawd, the pure, unadulterated CRAP that passed for "enlightened thought" back then! I'm embarrassed to think I bought into the small percentage of that which I did fall for.)

September 19, 2011 12:12 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

I fell for all of it. Managed to postpone growing up for several years, but there was enough there that it still brings a smile to mind, if nothing else, even though I no longer subscribe.

I was an early baby boomer, so I lived through the whole thing and saw it fall apart in the 1970s, when the Yuppies and Big Hair and Heavy Metal took over and it all became commercialized. The communes had disperse cause as it turned out there wasn't all that much freewheeling love and stuff available in communal living and living off the land was damned hard work and people got into big fights and disillusions.

Boo. Hiss.

Basically, I was too chicken to get really, really into it, tho. No drugs, for me, for example. Lots of political causes I endorsed, but never actually became involved in. The music was the best part.

But don't we all have some fond memories of our youth - and some not so fond.

September 19, 2011 12:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home