Friday, September 23, 2011

Bugs

I have hedges. Lots of hedges. This summer they've been crawling with Lady Bugs. I like Lady Bugs. They're cute. So I let them be. Normally, when a see a bug crawling about, I stomp on it and take some evil satisfaction from the sound of the crunch. Lady Bugs get a pass.

When I was a kid, growing up on the farm, there was a river flowing past the farmyard, and every once in a while a Water Beetle would find its way up to the yard by the house. Some of those bugs are massive. They'd get a pass, too. Just the thought of hearing the crunch made by one of those monsters was enough to give me the heebeejeebees. Yuk. The sound would probably reverberate off the valley banks. It would probably cripple me for life, too, both mentally and physically.


"Ladybug ladybug fly away home,
Your house in on fire and your children are gone,
All except one and that's little Ann,
For she crept under the frying pan."

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous MaxEd said...

Ladybugs eat aphids and other garden pests, so they're aces with me. Some varieties bite, especially the yellower ones, but it's just a little nip and fades quickly.

September 23, 2011 2:45 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Very lady-like.

September 23, 2011 3:13 pm  
Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

They also feed on pollen are a major natural source of plant pollination.

September 25, 2011 10:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home