Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Wonder

UPDATE: Somebody from CBC Toronto read this blog entry. Maybe they will warn the Friends. What a racket!
====================================
Is this the survey I was talking about in an earlier blog entry? Morrison does mention Angus Reid, which is the pollster who sent the survey to me via email. I wish there was some way of getting the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting to show us the raw data. If they are the agency that commissioned the survey, obviously they wanted to have results that were supportive of CBC and, especially, of better funding of the CBC. Unfortunately, they are an NGO, so may not be accountable the way CBC would be, or the way a government would be. Unless they themselves are funded by government grants.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

You know, I didn't know until last night that the Speaker of the House is an elected MP and that they don't vote or take any political positions. Kind of makes your vote, your riding's seat worthless, IMO.

I learned this watching TV last night. They had a thing on cable last night about the Conservative MP who's the British Speaker is -almost without precedent- being opposed by a candidate. The Cons, Lib-Dems and Labour Parties are not running any candidates against him, that's the tradition apparently. UKIP is running a candidate against him. They say the UKIP candidate doesn't stand much of a chance but UKIP is trying to make a difference in British politics, against the Cons-Lib-Dem-Lab establishment. UKIP is finding ever-growing public support in Britain and is working to have around 500 candidates in the next general election for the 650 seat House of Commons. I wish them luck!

I must say I'm very impressed with Nigel Farage, UKIP MEP!

December 01, 2011 4:19 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

"Kind of makes your vote, your riding's seat worthless, IMO."

Tell me about it. My MP is the speakerin the House of Commons. I sent him an email, CC'd to the PM,about Section 13 of the Human Rights Act, which is currently before the House for elimination (Yay!!) but he wrote back saying as speaker he cannot take positions on issues. Disenfranchised is exactly how I felt.

I've taken to writing a lot of letters to MPs in my old age. 'bout time, I say. It's like voting. If you don't use it, you could lose it.

I have no idea how the speaker in Canada's parliament is chosen. For a party that has a razor thin majority, it can make a big difference, since he only votes if there's a tie that needs to be broken (I think).

December 01, 2011 6:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home