Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Joys of Home Ownership

Although I've been living in this little house since early June, 2011, just yesterday I noticed there is a smoke detector on the ceiling just outside the laundry room in the basement. I have no idea how long it has been since the battery was changed, so I have bought the correct sized battery, but try as I may, I can't get the lid on the little compartment where the battery goes to close properly. The instructions on the lid are barely readable, but they do refer to a manual.

So, off I go, searching various nooks and crannies in the house for manuals. What I found were manuals to things like the washer and dryer, the water heater, etc., all of which were dated in the 1950s, '60s and early '70s. Heavy sigh. The house was built in the '50s. Some of the stuff in it is really, really old. But it looks like I will have to buy a new smoke detector for the lower floor. If it isn't one thing, it's another....

I'm tempted to buy a lottery ticket...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

Before you spend money on a new detector, there's one other thing you can do. If you can read the make, model number of the detector, you could check the Internet for a website for the manufacturer. These electronics companies often have information and downloadable manuals for their electronic products. I've gotten several manuals for various electronic devices, appliances I have that way.

March 14, 2012 9:41 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Too late.

March 15, 2012 4:21 am  
Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

Lottery ticket... or fire insurance, whatever happens first.

March 17, 2012 4:37 am  
Blogger Louise said...

I've never, ever bought a lottery ticket, although I've been given them for Christmas. Most of the gifts I get seem to be useless. Then there are the scratch and win thingies that Santa leaves in my stocking, but they're pretty useless, too.

There is a fire extinguisher attached to the wall not far from the smoke detector. That's the next thing I'll have to have checked out. I have no idea if it will work and I'd probably have to bring someone out from Regina to test it and/or teach me how to use it. The local fire service is all volunteer and they know nuttin'.

March 17, 2012 9:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home