Friday, March 16, 2012

Listen to Lee Habeeb...

...interviewed by Charles Adler (March 16, Part 3). Mr. Habeeb (which, I believe, means "darling", "my dear" or "sweetheart" in Arabic. The Arabic language is like French and many other languages in which words and grammar are structured along male versus female lines. "Habeebee" and "habeebtee" are both terms of endearment, one for boys and men, the other for girls and woman) I believe, but could be wrong, that habeeb, is the general term, used when not referring to or addressing a specific male or female individual.

Mr. Habeeb feels the same way I do about the Arab Spring. He talks about it towards the end of the interview. To summarize, in the short term, it's gonna be ugly, but in the long term, because of the young people, democracy will come to the Middle East.

He recently wrote an article Arab Like Me which has provoked a strong response from both directions.

Many years ago, I wrote, perhaps on my blog or on another blog where I was one of several contributors, that it would be Westernized Arabs and Muslims that would stimulate reform in the Muslim world. These many years later, I have not changed my view on that. The only trouble is that cultural change takes place very, very slowly and often is spurred by horrific events, such as war.

And that's one of the reasons I hope the Mad Mullah's are bombed to smithereens, very soon.

It's also one of the many, many reasons I supported the War in Iraq and why George W. Bush will always be near and dear to my heart.

Bush Derangement Syndrome sufferers and Harper Derangement Syndrome sufferers can go you-know-what themselves.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

Oh, the long term. Pity I don't have that option available.

March 17, 2012 4:33 am  
Blogger Louise said...

It's always a good strategy to make predictions that, if they come true at all, or more likely refutable, will only be verifiable or refutable, as the case may be, long after one is gone.

But, it's happened before, with Buddhism in China. Some 700 years after it had taken root in China, the Chinese turned against it because it was foreign and booted it out.

Islamists are their own worse enemy, if you ask me. But then again, Western media, are an Islamist's best friend.

March 17, 2012 9:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home