Monday, September 24, 2012

You Know, I'm Not Much...

...of a hockey fan, but I remember this one as if it were yesterday:

Da! Da! Canada!

Nyet! Nyet! Soviet!

Forty years ago this week!! I remember where I was when the winning goal was scored - in the student lounge at the College of Education at the U of S. The place was rocking and overflowing!

And I didn't know this:
"“My overall memory was that all the Canadians were drunk,” my mother, Barbara Fisher, who attended the four games in Moscow, recalled recently. “Never mind the Russians. It was the Canadians who were an embarrassment. . . . I thought, ‘What on earth they must think of us, (with) this going on?’ I mean, I knew what I thought of us.”

It is a view shared by Alma Said, who went to the games in Russia with three other secretaries who worked on Parliament Hill.

“Most of the Canadians were rude, impolite, badly mannered. A lot of them were people who liked to get plastered. Some were drunk even before the aircraft left Canada for Moscow. ” Said recalled. “It was embarrassing, but it was the best trip I ever had in my life.”"
That just makes it even better!!!

DA!! DA!! CANADA!!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home